Tuesday 18 September 2012

Death Cafe in Cardiff with Sara Annwyl



2nd of November (All Souls Day & Mexican Day of the Dead) 7.30pm

Held at Milkwood Gallery:
41 Lochaber Street
Roath,
Cardiff
CF24 3LS

T: 029 20473373/07930397982


This will be the first of a series of Cardiff Death Cafes which will be held on a regular basis in venues across Cardiff. 

We will be introducing visitors to the concept, holding an informal group conversation about Death, before moving on to having tea and cake and an opportunity to talk one to one to other visitors about the aspects of the topic you would like to explore.

There will be an art film screening happening in parallel to the event in an adjacent room, which visitors will be able to sit and view as they like. As an artist I will be seeking to hold my Death Cafes with a sensitivity to the nature and atmosphere of the locations in which they are held and will be using film, art and performance to compliment and support the central Death Cafe conversation.


I am Sara Annwyl. I'm an artist who usually works with moving image. I also curate exhibitions of other artists work. My practice revolves around communication and reciprocity; the transmission and exchange of mood and thought. It’s about longing for a universe that responds directly to our state of mind. I'm interested in the brain and the mind. Consciousness and notions of the soul. Subjectivity and objectivity. Religion and science, or the spiritual and psychiatric. My work often touches upon the supernatural and irrational. I am drawn to the concealed and repressed. The interplay between the seen and the unseen.What is revealed and what remains hidden or untold. I like to hear people's stories. It grips me when people open up and reach out to each other. I am increasingly fascinated with acts of emotional disclosure, and associated notions of dignity or its loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your piece.