Thursday 9 May 2013

Death Cafe in San Diego with Karen Van Dyke and Lainey Walker


Karen Van Dyke
Karen writes:

On Monday, May 13th the San Diego Community will experience the first Death Café at Casa de Luz in North Park at 6:30pm.
Talking about dying helps people to prepare for their own or other family members passing so that they live life more fully. The Death Café breathes life into the topic of death.

My Dad transitioned when I was 8 years old and my Mother when I was 23. Six years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer meeting death at the threshold. Two years ago I stood at the bedside of my sister, Judy, as she transitioned from this life, it was a beautiful and sacred time. Death is not our enemy it is part of the cycle of life. Thank you Jon Underwood for helping the topic of dying to go viral. You truly are the “death entrepreneur”.

The Death Café’s remind me of this beautiful poem by Ernest Hemingway –

For Whom the Bell Tolls

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Mr. Hemingway, I think you are on to something. We will all die…so that we live.

1 comment:

  1. Reduce terminal misery by cancelling the laws forbidding suicide and contributing to suicide.

    ReplyDelete

Say your piece.