Tuesday 11 September 2012

Happy endings: Death Cafe in Bury




To quote the late and great Steve Jobs, inventor of the Iphone, Ipad etc.

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true."

As some readers may know, I have developed a health interest in death. If you want to know more about my thoughts on the subject then visit my websitewww.happyendingfunerals.com 

I was therefore very interested to come across the work of Jon Underwood and the Death Cafe www.deathcafe.com

I'm looking to hold a Death Cafe in Bury in October. If you would be interested in coming along or knowing more then look at the websites and get in touch. You can email me ng@happyendingfunerals.com, or call me on 01449 737582

I aim to create a warm friendly environment, with a nice cup of tea and some cake - my daughter India's Bakewell tart is legendary. It will be an opportunity to talk about life and death, what makes us happy and what makes us sad. All thoughts and opinions will be of equal value. Most importantly we will be looking at how best to celebrate life, both when you have it and when you dont.

Although Im not a big fan of the Catholic Church I was struck by the following:
"Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows." - Pope Paul VI, Italian pope, 1897-1978

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your piece.